Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Plight of the Bombyx Mori

I have a pretty cool scar of about four inches on the right side of my ribcage. It'd be kinda cool if I could say it was from surgery, like my own body was rebelling against my vast awesomeness and the organ in charge had to be removed from the other conspirators or something.
 
Obviously, I didn't get it because my organs recognize how magnificent I am. I got it because I'm freaking stupid.
  
About two years ago, on a warm summer evening, I was playing with a foam Nerf football, throwing it in the air and catching it, much like children a decade or more younger than I might. But I was sixteen or so, so I had to make it the most mind-blowingly extreme game ever conceived in the history of the planet.
 
My game became "How Far Can I Throw this Ball and Still Catch It?". It turns out, I could throw the ball about fifteen yards, stumble on a hill covered in shale (that's a geological term for "rocks that might as well be shards of glass and hatred") and fall on said hill, all while somehow maintaining a grip on the ball.
 
As I said, I caught that toy, but I also got a pretty large scrape across my stomach, which bled a tremendous amount. It hurt pretty badly.
 
I do some pretty stupid things that result in scars and a large amount of pain to myself, but I'm pretty sure the life of a Bombyx mori, known primarily as a silkworm, sucks a lot more.
 
After suffocating in an itty bitty egg for two weeks, the larvae of these wretched creatures emerge to a hunger that literally cannot be satisfied. This is unfortunate for a couple reasons. One, hunger sucks, and two, they only subsist on mulberry, and if they're not provided with a tree or leaf or any piece of mulberry, they will die.
 
And that's another thing: these suckers depend not on the teachings of its moth-parents, but on the malicious hands of the humans who created them in the first place. That's right, these things only exist because a bunch of balding guys in labs said, “Oh, hey, can we create something for the sole purpose of interesting torture?” It turns out, they can and did, and the people who farm silkworms now are responsible for continuing their poor pets' lives.
 
There's a natural breed of silkworm (Bombyx mandarina), but through cross-breeding, hybridization and a whole lotta insect incest, the cultured species we have today was created. The obvious benefit is the silk we harvest, whereas the downsides are complete dependence of an objectively pointless species and millions of little buggy corpses.
 
So we know that domesticated silkworms can't do crap without humans breathing down their necks, and we know that as soon as they hatch, they're eating. Sounds like a pretty good life, being nurtured immediately after hatching, then getting to gorge on tasty plant life. And in the end, they even transform into moths, so that's cool.
 
Oh, wait. No they don't.
  
Silkworms, in order to grow properly to become moths have to molt four times. In this process, they shed what serves as their skin and use a heck of a lot of energy to do it, hence the eating. Soon, they become ready to form a cocoon and undergo their metamorphosis to become a wondrous moth.
 
Oh, wait. They still don't.
 
Once silkworms are ready to become a moth, they begin to drool. But it's a super-mystical, magical drool, one that no one else in all the land can do. It's stringy and fuzzy, and it wraps around the creature's entire body in a thread that can be well over a thousand feet long (that's about 300 meters).
 
And when this is done, it's time for the human breeders to interfere!

Carefully, humans will place the cocoons together, send them to a factory, then BOIL THEM ALL ALIVE. From here, the silken cocoons are stripped of the worms and the worms are unceremoniously thrown away.
 
The silk then makes fantastic clothing and fabric options, but the silkworm dies. It dies for us, the selfish, farming humans. It suffers, from its great egg escape to its death by boiling, for almost a full month, probably knowing exactly what is in store.
 
It's like the stinging pain of falling on rock shards, except it's for thirty days. It's a tortured life, the life of a Bombyx mori, but until the Great Insect Rebellion, we will still have our neckties and dresses.
amazon.com                                                             

This killed many silkworms. I'm sure you're happy.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment