Sunday, April 27, 2014

How I Lost My Fingerprints

The platitude “bad choices make great stories” sticks around for a number of reasons. If you're stupid enough to wander the Serengeti during the lions' mating season, then yes, you will have a fantastic tale to tell. . . if you get out alive. Same goes if you choose to get a tattoo while drunk. Living without “regrats” is a wonderful ideal, but to put it into practice is all but impossible. 
 
I try not to dwell on the awful, moronic things I've done, but some blunders stick out farther than a gym class stiffy, and it becomes impossible not to brag about my failings.
 

Have you ever heard of Bonanza Steakhouse? It's a small chain of decent all-you-can-eat buffets where obese customers' loud crunching drowns out the quiet sobs of the backroom employees.

It's a decent restaurant the same way “Friday” is a decent song. . .
 
For me, a high school junior at the time, and as a first job, it wasn't so bad, I suppose. When I walked in for my first day of training, a very pleasant young man named Tyler directed me to my post: the farthest room back, out of view of patrons, so when you had a mental episode, no one would know. I would be washing dishes.
 
The position was pretty straightforward: dump excess foodstuffs into large trash receptacles and place the dishes onto a dully-colored plastic rack, which would then be shoved through the dishwashing machine.
 
The equipment I used sounds like a little piece of heaven for 1950s housewives, even more so than the creation of soap operas. Clean dishes in eight seconds? WOW, sign me up for that!
 
This miracle of hygiene science isn't as fantastic as it sounds. It has one speed, so when church lets out for the day, you'd better believe every single person within ten miles is rushing to eat six plates of food each, desperately determined to clog the machine with an overflow of dishware. And the machine, for all intents and purposes, implodes when it is rushed, which is exactly what is happening at this point in the day.
 
And of course certain foods stick to the plates, even after being run through the washer three freaking times. Nacho cheese quickly became the bane of my existence, and now, every time I visit a buffet, I smear it all over plates, just so the dishwasher gets a little taste of my pain. It makes me feel better the same way rubbing melted chocolate all over your chest does: it's unbelievably euphoric for about three seconds, then extremely unpleasant for reasons you can't quite describe.
 
Dishwashing was an awful job, but that's exactly it: it was a job. I put in my time and worked all the agonizing 9-hour no-break shifts they'd give me all while desperately awaiting a better career option. It didn't come for a grueling six weeks. And yes, I'm giving you permission to joke about how incredibly short my tenure at that horrid establishment was.
 
Oh, right. I forgot to tell you how this splendiferous machine works. Imagine the hottest place possible (you're probably imagining spooning Miranda Kerr), and multiply it by any nameable number. If that number were a temperature, it would be nowhere close to the heat of the water that surged through this machine's hateful core.
 
One of the few things I learned on the first day of the job was the temperature range the water needed to be to properly clean the dishes.
 
“Mm, I usually keep it between 150 and 180 degrees, but 160 seems to be the best,” Tyler told me, ever-so-pleasantly. Never had I heard such an awful punishment stated so cheerfully. I heard what he said and rationalized it in my mind: “The
hottest temperature ever recorded was 134 degrees, so 150 isn't that much more.”
 
Dozens of people who weren't able to find proper shelter freaking
died from “only 134 degrees”. People complain they're hot when it's 90 out, so how could I possibly have thought that 150 would be okay to the touch? It WASN'T. Nothing about this was okay.
 
Just let the dishes cool off once they've been cleaned.” -literally everyone I've ever told this to
 
I loved weekday evenings and Saturdays, because hardly anyone came to the restaurant, so I was able to let the dishes cool off in the open air. Then there were Sundays. . . there was absolutely no waiting between the dishes coming out of the machine and doling them out to the drooling ape-customers. It was kind of like an emergency room: angry people constantly demanding something without enough help to aide them properly.
 
Point is, it is never an acceptable idea to touch fire, but for hours at a time I was forced to stick my fingers into a malevolent semi-sentience. Nothing about it should have been legal: the pay was minimal, the hours sucked, I never had help and it caused me quite a bit of physical and mental damage. (The other employees thought I was legitimately retarded, too, so that's fun.) So would you like to know what I did get out of this torturous experience?
 
I lost my fingerprints. They were completely burned off for more than eight weeks after I quit the job.
 
Yeah, pretty much. . .
 
Epilogue. . .
  
The restaurant burned to the ground about two years after I'd quit, and I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was the blisteringly hot monster/dishwasher that caused that restaurant's downfall. Or a disgruntled dishwasher, attempting to avenge his murdered fingerprints.   Just.  Like.  Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment