Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Alarm Clocks Are Kind of the Worst

The expression “sleeps like a log” doesn't really apply to me, because you can assume at one point the log was a tree, and trees are, well, alive. When I sleep, there's no real indication that I was ever alive, so an alarm clock destroying my unconscious bliss is a torture no one should have to experience, on a par with having your toenails ripped out. 
 
As I said, from my perspective, there is little worse than the sound of a blaring alarm clock in the morning, aside from being mauled by a grizzly bear or something. It's louder than a foghorn and the sound itself is more annoying than the noises I imagine Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber's unholy offspring would make. What's worse, they (alarm clocks in general) are made of unbelievably flimsy materials (I have broken three in the past year due to fits of morning rage).

                                                                       teenidols4you.com
“How bad could it be?”
 
These problems aside, probably an alarm's worst trait is its inhuman craving for attention. Its sound is specifically designed to be heard, like it knows it's more important than a euphoric slumber. An alarm clock's ego is only heightened by the “wonderful” improvement of the snooze alarm. Originally, it was a once-and-done deal for these inanimate jerks. Now, the exhausted, lazy people of the world must suffer the cacophony of a morning alarm multiple times, and it never fully sates the beast, or else we wouldn't have to set it the next morning.
 
Heck, look at the Spanish word for alarm clocks. It's “despertador.” Does that word look anything like the phrase “alarm clock”? No, it looks more like “desperate.” Like, “Oh, hey, I'm a machine DESPERATE for your undivided attention. Give it to me. Now.”
 
I've seen ads for “puzzle alarm clocks.” They're these things that tick like a normal clock until the time you've set them for, but instead of just ringing, the top also explodes into a 3D puzzle you have to solve to turn off the alarm. Some even change daily, so you can't just learn the puzzle and turn it off really quickly. Great idea, right? Um, heck no. You'd better believe I will never have one of these monsters.
                                                                                   aliexpress.com
"Imma ruin your life!”
 
Obviously, I am not about to give in to these boorish sadists. On a normal day, I set my alarm for a reasonable time, like 10am, so I can occasionally beat the alarm clock in waking up and never even have to listen to it. But most of the time, I fail in this goal.
 
But it's actually sort of okay. For as much as I hate the typical alarm clock, I've found a way to make it suck just a little less. I won an iHome in a raffle thinger at my high school's post-graduation celebration awhile ago. After trying to figure it out for much longer than I should've had to, I found the alarm function.
 
Of course, I had to test it out right there. The built-in alarm was a piercing shriek. Just what I'd have expected from such an attention whore. But then you plug in your iPod, and – holy crap – it plays your music!
 
So what does a rational human do when they finally have the perfect alarm clock? Wake up to ironic songs, of course. Case in point: I'm on a Pink Floyd kick right now, so for all of last week, my wake-up call was to “Comfortably Numb.” It's an eerie diddy that begins “Hello. . . is there anybody in there?” To which I always answer, “No, clock, now let me sleep.”
 
Even better, I've recently discovered the wonder that is Quietdrive. “BodyOut of Bed” is a logical choice for any person's alarm. The lead line of the chorus is heard: “I will never get this body out of bed.” Of course I won't. Thank you for reading my mind, alarm clock.
 
What I'm trying to say is, now that I have the magic of musical alarms, I don't have to suffer as much when I'm waking. It's not the best solution, but until my Circadian rhythm is so perfect I don't need an alarm, I guess I'll choose listening to Quietdrive over Miley Bieber.
 

                                                                       teenidols4you.com
Oh, right. . . it is that bad.”

No comments:

Post a Comment